Cooks notes: you could use lemon here as a sub for lime. The bitterness of the lemon works so well in this drink to give it a fresh, sharp kick. You could make a simple sugar syrup here, but to save on time, shaking it up in a jar until the sugar dissolves works well.
Equipment needed: cocktail shaker, serving glass
1. Shake the sugar and water together in a jar with the lid on until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Make a lime peel to garnish by using a peeler to take a thin strip off the outside of the lime, twist and set aside.
3. Add the sugar syrup to a shaker along with the whiskey, lime, ice and egg white. Shake until it becomes frothy.
4. Add a bit of ice to a chilled glass and pour the cocktail through a strainer over the ice. Include some of the froth as well on the top if it doesn’t make its way through the strainer.
5. Top with the lime peel to serve.