6 Free Range Eggs
Cooks notes: remove the pastry from the fridge at least 15 minutes before you use it to stop it cracking when unrolled. Here, you don’t want pre-ground black pepper, instead coarsely grind black pepper which will create a better flavour and texture for the cheese twists. To serve a cheese board, you need to add the larger items first and finish with the smaller bits.
Equipment needed: baking tray
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Mix together the garlic, paprika, chilli flakes, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
3. Roll out the pastry and brush with the egg, cut in half then sprinkle one piece with half the seasoning and half the cheese. Fold the other half on top, egg wash side facing down, brush the top with a little more of the egg.
4. Sprinkle this evenly with the seasoning and cheese. Roll it slightly into the surface of the pastry and to join both pieces. Then Cut crosswise into strips to give you 8 in total, which creates strips that are shorter.
5. To twist, take one end of each piece in a hand and twist both ends in opposite directions, continue, transferring to the prepared baking trays as you go.
6. To create your cheese board, start with the cheese, arrange around the board, followed by small dishes of chutney. nuzzle the crackers and cheese straws around the cheese, then take the bowls of olives and dot around the board, twirl the meats and arrange on the board. You can also arrange bundles of olives on the board to fill any gaps along with dried fruit and nuts.
*While stocks last