Cottage Pie with Parsnip and Melted Cheddar Mash
- Put the onion and bacon into the pot with the sunflower oil and cook slowly for 15 minutes with a lid on the pot, stirring every now and then.
- Turn up the heat and start to colour the onions and bacon with the lid off for a further 5 minutes until they start to brown, the bottom of the pot will colour as well but that’s ok
- Add the steak mince and break up , cook for 5 minutes
- Meanwhile put the potatoes and parsnips on the boil
- Add the steak marinade and ketchup to the mince and cook for a further 15 minutes, season and set aside
- When the potatoes and parsnips are cooked, drain, add the milk, butter, salt and pepper and mash until you get the texture you like.
- Place the meat into a baking dish or divide between 2 dishes if freezing, top with the mash and then the cheese. (it’s at this point that the dish is ready for freezing)
- Bake in an 180c oven for 20 minutes until golden and bubbling
If cooking from frozen, remove the dish from the freezer and allow defrosting overnight in the fridge, then cook as above.